Fall is a good time to clean our houses and prepare for winter. Here are some tips to get you through.
- Do one room at a time. If you get overwhelmed easily do it over two days or even a drawer or cupboard at a time.
- Drink lots of water as you clean. As we purify our homes it is important to help purify ourselves as well.
- Smudge. You can either burn a cleansing incense such as sandalwood or dragon’s blood as you go and do one room as you finish it or you can smudge the whole house once you are completed. I personally do a mix of both.
- Have a salt bath at night to rid yourself of any negative energy that may have rubbed off on you.
- Visualize as you clean. Picture your home cleansed of all negative energy, objects that have been holding you back. (Are you really going to finish ALL the projects you started 10 years ago and haven’t gotten to yet?)
- Donate whatever is in good shape that you don’t need anymore. Please wash things out before they go in the donation bin.
- You can diffuse lemon essential oil in a diffuser if you don’t want to use incense. Lemon is very cleansing for the home and your mind. Rosemary also works well, but the aroma is stronger.
- Sprinkle salt around the area you cleaned before you do the floors. Take a break for yourself and let the salt sit for a few minutes and then sweep/vacuum, and wash the floors. You can strew cleansing herbs around the room if you prefer. Both methods work very well.
- Clean out your herbs both magickal and mundane. Kitchen spices should be replaced every year. I tend to hold on to my magickal herbs for about 2 years although some folks find that magickal herbs should be replaced every year also as they lose potency over time. I would suggest using your own intuition to determine when to replace magickal herbs. Hold the herb in your receptive hand and sense the energy, if it’s still strong, keep it, if not, toss it.
- Charge your mop water. You can send energy into your mop water to bring things like peace, love, prosperity or for an extra purifying boost. For example, charge your mop water for prosperity by visualizing the water glowing green and your bank balance going up, or paid bills etc. As you mop visualize the water washing away impurities with one stroke and sending prosperity in the form of green energy into the house and saturating the space.
These are just a few tips to inspire you. Reward yourself after a hard days work. Have your favourite tea, sweet or a drink! Happy cleaning!