Here are a few more new moon activities for you to try:
- The new moon is a great time to dismantle altars and shrines, give everything a good physical cleaning and rebuild them. Smoke cleansing all the objects before placing them on the altar. You may bless any tools or new items. I like to use this time to look at what’s on my altars and shrines and remove any objects that no longer serve a purpose.
We often get attached to objects, however, if it is not contributing in a positive way on the altar or shrine, you can move it to a different location in your home where you will get enjoyment out of it.
- Physically cleaning your home on the new moon is a good idea also. Clearing away the old dust and clutter makes way for new things and experiences. Visualize this while you are cleaning. Clear your mental clutter at the same time, allowing your mind to be open to new messages and thoughts.
- The new moon is a good time to build a new altar or shrine.
- Go for a walk in the woods and clear your mental clutter, refreshes your spirit and brings clarity to your thoughts. Breathe in the fresh air and feel it cleansing you. Continue your walk and look around to see if you are getting any messages from the forest (animals, plants, leaves etc.) if you don’t know their meanings, look them up when you get home and compare that to the sensation you felt when you experienced it. Often we get conflicting answers when we compare a traditional meaning from a book and the meaning we gleaned through our own sensations and thoughts. Go with your heart. Just because a book says something doesn’t mean that it’s true to you. We all experience the spiritual and magickal differently. Do what makes sense to you.
- Add a few drops of grapefruit essential oil and a few drops of Bach Rescue Remedy to your mop water to bring harmony into your home.
- Journaling is also a great tool to see how you fared over the precious cycle. It can put many things into perspective and you can see what you need to work on in the coming cycle. Set goals for the waxing, full and next waning phases. Are there any spells or rituals or other magickal aids you can employ to help you on your journey? What about the changes you need to make on the physical plane?
- A personal cleansing is in order as well. You can do a ritual bath or a smoke cleansing with an herb like frankincense or sandalwood, or create a ritual using the four elements. Fire for instance can be used to transform negative into positive, air can cleanse your spirit, earth can cleanse your body and water can cleanse your emotions. This can be as simple as lighting a candle, having a dish of salt and one of water and a purifying incense in a dedicated space. Walk thrice around each element widdershins and visualize yourself being cleansed. You can also run with this idea and make up a ritual that suits you and your tradition.
Hopefully these ideas inspire you.